Thursday, September 17, 2009

Jay-Z Scores 11th No. 1 Album, "BP3" Sells 476K In First Week


Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 has become the number one album in the country today (September 16) selling over 476,000 copies in its first week on store shelves.

In addition to Hov, Wu-Tang Clan's Raekwon also landed on the charts with the release of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Part 2.

Jay-Z has made an impressive land and Roc Nation debut as The Blueprint 3 has officially sold 476,100 copies in its first seven days on stores shelves making it the No. 1 album in the nation. Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Part 2 secured the No. 4 slot with 67,900 sold copies. (Sales Wrap)

Early estimates showed both rap veterans debuting high on the charts.

Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3, the first release from his Roc Nation imprint through Atlantic Records, will debut at No. 1 with a total between 300 to 350k. The Beatles' stereo and mono box sets are selling out at Amazon and other online retailers. Next up on the debut list is IceH20's Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon with the sequel to his celebrated Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, distributed by EMI and should be good for 55-60k. (Hits Daily Double)

Hov also had to struggle through an early leak of his Blueprint 3 album nearly two weeks prior to its official release.

"I may be the most bootlegged artist in history," he said in an interview after learning the news. "It's a preview. I'm excited for people to hear the album. I'm very proud of the work I've down, so enjoy it...My pager is actually ringing right now, so people are probably calling me and telling me they pretty much like it. I can tell by the way my pager rings if a song is good or not. It's really going crazy right now." (MTV)

Featured on the October 2009 XXL Magazine, Hov challenged other emcees to compare their "stats" to his.

"But when I say I'm the best, I don't say that outta my a**," Jay said in the interview. "I say that with all my stats behind me. I put that against anybody. I mean anybody. I really believe that...I believe in a lot of things. I believe that "SportsCenter" is the best thing on TV. I shouldn't have to prove it. But I do have these stats to prove it. I'm talking about real run. I'm not talking about years off. I'm talking about straight--boom, boom, boom--back to back. We're not talking about heritage acts either. We're not talking about respect what I've done. I'm talking No. 1 [albums] 10 times. The Beatles is the only one [to have more No. 1 albums]. They got 19, and if I get a surge of creativity, I could make nine albums next year." (XXL Magazine)

Check out Jay-Z speaking on the new album below:

No comments:

Post a Comment